Thursday, May 13, 2010

03-23-2010

03-23-2010

Houston we have Uh-Oh....



I awoke this morning many different times…I was not able to sleep very comfortable since I was sharing a queen size bed with Daniel. Mr. Moose, and John were in the other bed. It would be very hard to give an accurate number on how many hours I slept. But if I had to guess…I would say it would be in the ball park of no more then 4 hours.


Finally around 8:30 am the group began to stir. I was not in need of getting up early since I was not going skiing. So I just laid there. Around 9:30 they left for the slopes. I finally got around and got ready by about 10:30 headed out on my way towards Denver.











Once on the road I made good time on highway 40. It was spitting snow at first but as I climbed in elevation to go over the pass the snow became more and more intense. Nearing the peak of the pass the conditions became near white out. I had to slow to around 15 mph. Even at this speed I was still sliding around a lot. I was doing fine for the most part going up the pass but coming back down was a whole different tiger. I used a combination of tapping on the brake and lower gears to successfully traverse probably the worst snow conditions I have ever drove in.



Needless to say the picture below looks bad but that was taken when the snow had eased up some. Thankfully there are 5 lane roads essentially going over the pass.










Over the pass and heading towards Denver...the storm looks pretty from here.













Once I got into Denver I proceeded to head to the place was at earlier in the week. That’s right I went back to Pete’s Greek Café. Traffic was pretty tense but I made good time with the help of my phone giving me directions.







Here is a picture of the snow storm from earlier catching back up with me. I am between Denver and the airport.













Here is a picture of my rental car when done...













A picture from inside the Denver airport. I took a couple shots. I stopped because the security guys started coming my way. No need to give them a reason to lock me up. I got to the airport at about 3 and my flight was not till 7 so I had plenty of time to look around and do nothing...and be bored...









I was again flying Frontier Airlines...68 dollars to Houston...take note of the storm again...










Each of the terminals at the airport had a different theme...this one was a Aztec thing (Indiana Jones anyone?)...one had a neon light theme. The last was a western theme.










In the subway that takes you from terminal to terminal there are little fans that spin as you drive by. I tried to get pictures of them...I did get video of them but dont know how to post it...










Ah the storm has hit the airport.










The mountains must have played some weird effect on the storm as it just hovered over the airport. Flights started getting delayed at 6pm. Our plane finally pulled up to the gate at 7:45 or so. We finally boarded at 8pm. The pilot was determined to get us out of Colorado that night.









Once we taxied out we had to get sprayed down for snow and ice. We sat and waited from about 8pm till approximately 11:45pm before the sprayer guys even made it to our plane. Many flights had been canceled by this time and I was honestly hoping ours would be as well. I had the very last seat which was unable to recline. They did give us free tv to watch though.













Can you guess what this picture is? This is the picture inside an airplane when it turns completely off. This happened to us 3 times. Apparently the airplane version of an alternator was going out? I honestly have no idea to be honest. This increased my desire to get off the plane significantly.













Finally at around 11:45 the crews made it to us. For the next 15 minutes they washed us down.













They look like something straight out of a terminator movie...or mad max perhaps.










I finally got into Houston at 3:15am...I got a hold of Matt Walker...he came and saved me from the airport. He was rather groggy because he stayed up waiting for me to land and finally went to sleep. After the drive and finally getting back to his place at 4:15 he was dog tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment